Saturday, January 19, 2013

ADD or ADHD, that is the question.

It's been a while. About two and a half years at this point. Still looking for that Brain Extractor but I don't think it's coming anytime soon. I've composed quite a few entries in my head over the years but without that Brain Extractor they just haven't made it.

Terry and I created a presentation on ADHD called (drum roll and fanfare please) ADHD 101. Yeah, real original I know, but it it actually describes it pretty accurately. Putting it together was a lovely combination of enjoyable and stressful. Terry put the research together and I used my past experience as a Park Ranger (you all know I was a Park Ranger, right?) to make it presentable in a way that is fun. When we present it (and so far we've only made a test run for her staff and some of their family) she delivers the facts and I'm the used car salesman. Wanna buy an "I model"? Low, low milage and it was only used on Sundays to help a little old lady get through her "to do" list. You see, that joke might even be funny to someone who has seen the program and knows what the hell an "I model" is. And oh, by the way (spoiler alert), ADHD 101 involves a lab coat and a superhero costume.

Anywho. While we were putting it together we came across kind of a dilemma. What the hell do you call it? Is it ADD? ADHD? Does it vary? Who, whom, po-tay-to, po-ta-to, you get the picture. Turns out that it doesn't really matter. To most folks who are really connected to the front edge of the thing the terms are interchangeable. Interesting news to me, but if you really break it down, all ADDers (we decided to use that term to refer to all those swell folks we were talking about) tend to have some form of hyperfocus or hyperactivity so to "H" or not to "H" really didn't seem to be the question.

I'm sure I'll get lots of replies and emails disputing this (yeah, right! Like enough people read this damn thing to make "lots of replies and emails") but it works for me. I'm keeping the "H" because it makes for a snappier acronym. Those of you who know me might think that's a bit silly because I don't exactly seem to be a jumping jack, hyperactive kinda guy, but you might be surprised at what hyperactivity might be like. I might even surprise you with it in a future entry. I'm certainly dying from suspense so I hope it gets written soon.

Brain Extractor, anyone...?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy to see another blog post! I wish I could be closer to see this presentation. I know that I'd be enjoying it to the fullest.

January 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home